[Standards-JIG] Re: LAST CALL: JEP-0117 (Intermediate IM ProtocolSuite)

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Sat May 14 17:00:07 UTC 2005

|>1. Require occupant use cases and creating an instant room (this is
|>   what the JEP specifies right now).
|>2. Require occupant use cases and all room creation / configuration
|>   use cases (not just instant room, but full room config).
|>3. Require occupant use cases, all room creation / configuration
|>   use cases, and the room destruction use case.
|>4. Require all of JEP-0045 (including all owner+admin use cases).

For what it's worth, (1) was the logical first step when we started
building MUC support into our server.  We built the "groupchat" MUC (as
#1 basically is) about a year before circling back to build the rest of
the features.

I think this is a good starting point for an intermediate client and is
all that most consumers will want.  Oh, the one-to-one transition needs
to be in there as well.

However, we power users that have a love/hate relationship with IRC, the
corporate world, and custom applications (such as white boarding) need
the full MUC feature set.

I agree with Nolan here.  Choose (1) or (4).  If we do (4) then the
client needs to do (1) by default so that only those that care are
affected by the complexities of MUC.

-JD