[Standards-JIG] Re: LAST CALL: JEP-0117 (Intermediate IM Protocol Suite)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 17 21:21:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 04:18:14PM -0400, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> > Well, I think the default room type is a deployment decision, not
> > something that we specify in the JEP.
>
> But maybe you should put a SHOULD in there?

Conformance language (MUST/SHOULD/MAY) applies at the implementation
level, not the deployment level (at least in general). To tell people
how to deploy software is not the business of a specification, which
instead focuses on what features a software implementation needs to
include.

A deployment that wants to compensate for the fact that clients can't
destroy rooms could set the default for that conferencing service to
non-persistent rooms, it could clean up rooms after a certain amount of
inactivity, etc.

Furthermore, if the JEP is going to tell deployers whether a room SHOULD
be persistent or non-persistent by default, then presumably it is also
correct for the JEP to weigh in on all the other options (discussion
logging etc.). But the appropriate settings will depend on the situation
(public service, private service, logging seen as an invasion of privacy
on the public Internet, logging required for regulatory compliance in
some corporate settings, etc.), so I think that's quite out of scope.

Or so it seems to me.

/psa