[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Whitelisted subscriptions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 20 20:09:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 04:28:20PM -0700, Chris Mullins wrote:

> That I can find, there's no mechanism for a node owner to mange the
> subscription whitelist. Is this whitelist 100% implementation specific,
> or is there supposed to be some protocol for a node owner to specify
> which JID's are on the whitelist?

It seems to me that the whitelist would be edited by modifying entity
affiliations. There is no special construct called the whitelist, there
is simply a list of entities with associated affiliations. If the node
is configured to be of type "whitelist" then the only way for a JID to
be added to the subscriber list is for an owner to explicitly add that
JID by modifying entity affiliations as described in Section 8.2.5.

However, I think we need to specify the proper error handling if someone
attempts to subscribe to a "whitelist node". I would suggest using the
<not-allowed/> stanza error condition from RFC 3920, with possibly a
pubsub-specific error element <whitelist-node/> as shown below:

ENTITY ATTEMPTS TO SUBSCRIBE...
<iq type="set"
    from="sub1 at foo.com/home"
    to="pubsub.jabber.org"
    id="sub1">
  <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
    <subscribe
        node="generic/pgm-mp3-player"
        jid="sub1 at foo.com"/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

SERVICE RETURNS ERROR...
<iq type="error"
    from="pubsub.jabber.org"
    to="sub1 at foo.com/home"
    id="sub1">
  <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
    <subscribe
        node="generic/pgm-mp3-player"
        jid="sub1 at foo.com"/>
  </pubsub>
  <error code="405" type="cancel">
    <not-allowed xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
    <whitelist-node xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#errors"/>
  </error>
</iq>

/psa