[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Most Recent Items defined?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 20 20:53:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:30:27PM -0700, Chris Mullins wrote:

> JEP 60 allows me to publish more than 1 item at a time. Indeed, given
> the XSD, it requires that this be allowed.
>
> Assume that I publish two items:
> <iq [...]>
>     <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
>         <publish node="somenode">
>
>             <item id="left">
>                 <leftnode/>
>             </item>
>
>             <item id="right">
>                 <rightnode/>
>             </item>
>         </publish>
>     </pubsub>
> </iq>
>

> Now I ask the PubSub Service to give me the most recent item:
> (Section 8.1.10: When max_items is used, implementations SHOULD return
> the N most recent)
>
> <iq [...]>
>     <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
>         <items node="someone" max_items="1" subid="1"/>
>     </pubsub>
> </iq>
>

> Which of the two nodes that have been published should be returned?

Do you feel that the JEP needs to specify this? It feels awfully
implementation-specific to me. I presume that the implementation can
determine what the most recent item is based on when it processed the
items (in your example, maybe it's "left" and maybe it's "right"). If
order had been important to the publisher, it could have published the
items in separate IQs. I suppose some applications might also allow the
publisher to specify sequential ItemIDs, but in general ItemIDs need
only be unique and do not necessarily have any semantic meaning.

/psa