[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Whitelisted subscriptions

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Fri May 20 21:50:08 UTC 2005

PSA Wrote:
> Chris Mullins wrote:
> > [ Modifying Node WhiteLists ]

> It seems to me that the whitelist would be edited by modifying entity
> affiliations.

> There is no special construct called the whitelist, there
> is simply a list of entities with associated affiliations. If
> the node is configured to be of type "whitelist" then the only way
> for a JID to  be added to the subscriber list is for an owner to
> explicitly add that JID by modifying entity affiliations as described
> in Section 8.2.5.

Thanks for the clarification.

To me, it seems that "Whitelist" is a bit of a misnomer, and "Closed" or
"Invite-Only" would be a better name.

When I hear WhiteList, I start looking for a protocol by which I can
manage and maintain that whitelist of entities who are eligible to
subscribe.

--
Chris Mullins