[Standards-JIG] JEP 60 - 8.2.5 Modifing Entity Affiliations

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 20 21:56:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:08:21PM -0700, Chris Mullins wrote:
> Section 8.2.5 talks about retrieving the list of affiliations and
> subscriptoins for a particular node from the server.
>
> To facilliate this, there is a Stanza with a collection of Entity node
> on it. Each of these entity nodes looks like:

> Section 6, which talks about Entity Affiliations, does not state
> anywhere that a particular user may only have one affiliation. Should
> this be explicitly stated, or is it not true?
>
> If multiple entity affiliations are forbidden, then case #3 below
> disappears. The trouble is that I can envision nodes for whom the Owner
> of the node is not allowed to publish to the node - in fact this seems
> as if it's a key use case for a wide variety of services.

Like what? Got examples?

In general, I think it would be quite confusing to have multiple
affiliations for one entity. The concept behind affiliations in
Multi-User Chat was that each affiliation subsumes the privileges
of the affiliations "below" it in the hierarchy. We have the same
concept with pubsub (see Table 3), which is why we changed the JEP
quite some time ago so that subscription state is orthogonal to
affiliation.

/psa