[Standards-JIG] Re: Whose avatar?

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Sun May 22 18:57:13 UTC 2005

Magnus Henoch <mange at freemail.hu> writes:

> I could keep the mapping between JIDs and avatar pubsub nodes in
> private XML storage, updating it as I subscribe to new avatars.

I found some more time to hack avatars, which has led me to think
about this approach again.  I imagine something like the following:

<iq type='set'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:private'>
    <mappings xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub-mapping'>
      <mapping user='juliet at capulet.com'
	       jid='pubsub.capulet.com'
	       node='juliet/geoloc'
	       targetns='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'/>
    </mappings>
  </query>
</iq>

with any number of <mapping/> nodes under <mappings/>.  It's
inconvenient that you can't use a delta to update this, but at least
it gets the work done without changes to server implementations.

This would be common to all clients that use data received from
pubsub.  What do you think about it?

Magnus