[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Resource Based Subscription problem

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Mon May 23 05:09:28 UTC 2005

Quoting Chris Mullins <chris.mullins at coversant.net>:
> (I sure wish we could disallow resource based subscriptions.)

I like them, but the real mode of behaviour should somehow be:

1 - Publisher published new data to the node
2 - PubSub component looks up the subscriptions and finds "user at server/One"
3 - PubSub component checks to see if this resource is online.
4 - The resource is not online, so the PubSub component queues the message in
    itself, waiting for the right priority to become present, rather than
handing
    it to the server.

This requires the PubSub component being aware of users' presence, and I'm not
sure how common that is at present as I haven't investigated that far.  But
it's also the only way I could think of a resource-based subscription working
in a sane fashion.

Resource-based subscriptions are a necessity, because without them, how do I
subscribe my weather client, which is on negative priority, to
anything? Without the resource-based subscriptions, messages would
always go to some
other logged-in resource, never arriving at the bot. :-)

TX