[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Requesting Items for a Node

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon May 23 07:11:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:39:37PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I think it would be reasonable for a pubsub service to consider owners
> and publishers to have "super-user" status and to allow JIDs with those
> affiliations to retrieve items.

That is ok for owner, but not for publishers. I can imagine a scenario,
where multiple entities may publish to the node, but none of the
publisher is authorized to see items published by others.

IMHO there should be three independent groups:
1. publishers
2. subscribers
3. readers

Subscriber could be automatically a reader (allowed to fetch items), but
not the other way. Subscribing to a node just to fetch one, already
published, node may be suboptimal (the subscribing entity could be
flooded with item it doesn't want).

Greets,
	Jacek