[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Requesting Items for a Node

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 23 16:22:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 09:11:25AM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:39:37PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > I think it would be reasonable for a pubsub service to consider owners
> > and publishers to have "super-user" status and to allow JIDs with those
> > affiliations to retrieve items.
>
> That is ok for owner, but not for publishers. I can imagine a scenario,
> where multiple entities may publish to the node, but none of the
> publisher is authorized to see items published by others.

You are obviously more imaginative than I am. :-)

> IMHO there should be three independent groups:
> 1. publishers
> 2. subscribers
> 3. readers
>
> Subscriber could be automatically a reader (allowed to fetch items), but
> not the other way. Subscribing to a node just to fetch one, already
> published, node may be suboptimal (the subscribing entity could be
> flooded with item it doesn't want).

So a "reader" would be able to retrieve items at will, but the service
would not push items to the reader? That seems much like a subscriber
who has set a delivery flag to "false". So perhaps the best approach
would be to create a subscription option for this, rather than to create
a new class of readers. I suggest a boolean field of "pubsub#deliver"
whose default value is true (notifications are sent) but which may be
set to false (no notifications sent), in the pubsub#subscribe_options
FORM_TYPE.

/psa