[Standards-JIG] JEP 60 DataForm Proposed Change

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 23 17:10:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:08:38AM -0700, Chris Mullins wrote:
> Bob Wyman Wrote:
> > For many purposes it is useful to know precisely which one of
> > a potentially large number of jids was the one that caused the
> > node to be created.
>
> For this use case then, we should create a new affiliation "Creator" and
> allow it to be queried in the same way the "Owner", "Outcast", and
> "Publisher" are queried.

I disagree that we need an affiliation for this. The node creator may be
of historical interest but that entity does not have any special powers.

> Overloading a Disco Info request for a node with a piece of data that's
> not available anywhere else, and, indeed, isn't explicitly defined
> anywhere else in the spec seems a bad idea.

Support for any given piece of metadata is optional.

It seems that folks might want the following bits of metadata:

- node creators (we already have that)
- node owners
- JIDs to contact about the node

So we can define metadata fields for owners and "contacts" if we want,
and I'd be happy to add those to the JEP and to the registry.

/psa