[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Requesting Items for a Node

Peter Millard pgmillard at gmail.com
Mon May 23 23:21:19 UTC 2005

On 5/20/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> I think it would be reasonable for a pubsub service to consider owners
> and publishers to have "super-user" status and to allow JIDs with those
> affiliations to retrieve items.
>
> If Peter and Ralph don't have any objections, I will add a note about
> that.

I think this is reasonable for owners, but not publishers (as has
already been noted).

> Hmm. Currently, the SubID is used to differentiate between multiple
> subscriptions from the same JID -- or, more precisely, it is used by
> the pubsub service on any subscription to a node that allows multiple
> subscriptions to the same node by the same JID (so if the node allows
> multiple subscriptions, then the service MUST add the 'subid' attribute
> if one is not provided by the subscriber). If we specify that the SubID
> is required in all cases, then services will be generating SubIDs when
> they're not really necessary or used. I don't know if that is a major
> hardship or not -- perhaps some implementors could voice their opinions.
>
> Furthermore, no guidelines are specified for the generation of SubIDs.
> At the least, I think the JEP needs to say that a SubID MUST be unique
> per node+jid combination.

This is clearly too large of a change at this point IMO. There will be
lots of implementations that do not support s10n options, therefore,
don't need to support sub-ids. Making them mandatory after a JEP is
already Draft should not be allowed. We'd be breaking exsting
implementations :( Furthermore, we shouldn't be designing protocols w/
just compliance checking in mind. Sure, it's something to consider,
but it should not be something we optomize for.

pgm