[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Resource Based Subscription problem

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Tue May 24 00:03:13 UTC 2005

PGM Wrote:
> Dude... it's simple:

> Pubsub sends a notification to the subscribed JID. Period.
> Pubsub MUST NOT make any assumptions about how that
> notification will be delivered. Period.

> If it so happens, that an IM user subcribes with a full
> JID, I agree that what happens will probably not be what
> they wanted. Thats life, but it's outside the scope of Pubsub.

As you describe, it's simple. I agree. I have this implemented. I have
tests written. I have tests passing. It's done. It's coded. It works. No
problem.

... but I'm already envisioning the tech support emails:

---

your server sux. its broken. u can knot even get pubsub rite. aye
subscribed to a nOd with my "kooldude at server\i-rok", and when your
server sent the notification it sent it to "kookdude at server\i-suk". u r
commercial-ware server sux. im going back to the server my bro wrote in
logo and runs on the apple lisa using 3k of ram and fits on a floppy.

---

If you think this email is an exaggeration, look at all the tech support
questions for MUC that come across the J-Admin list - the questions are
usually for things that are simpler to understand in concept than this.

It has to work the way people expect it to work - expecting the users to
know the ins-and-outs of the protocol is asking way too much.

--
Chris Mullins