[Standards-JIG] JEP-0001: Draft Versus Final

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Tue May 24 00:28:39 UTC 2005

PGM Wrote:

> Making them mandatory after a JEP is already Draft
> should not be allowed.

Section 8.1 of JEP 1 doesn't say anything about that. It only talks
about "rough consensus" for a JEP to be moved into Draft state.

Clearly, for PubSub, we have Rough Consensus, but defiantly not
Unanimity.

Nowhere does it say that "Only small changes can be made from here on
out". If this were the case, it would be in my best interest to
implement all the JEP as early in the process as possible, then kick and
scream to prevent changes being made.

> We'd be breaking exsting implementations :(

That's what "Final" is for, is it not? After reading JEP-0001 it seems
that "Draft" is a good time to make changes.

Just so that this doesn't come across as blatant self-interest, I have
the portions of the JEP that we're talking about coded and complete as
they're defined today in the JEP. Any changes we make mean more work for
me, not less...

--
Chris Mullins