[Standards-JIG] Re: Whose avatar?

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Tue May 24 17:13:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

I would like to repeat my proposal to add an application defined context to notifications. The client would supply an XML fragment with the subscription. The fragment will be included in notifications. The fragment would be transparent to the pubsub service.

We can then standardize the format of this application context. I would defer this and let applications just use it until we have at lease a bit of experience. Remember: too many specs, not enough code.

Each callback needs a user context. A subscription is a callback interface.

Sample subscription:
      <iq type='set'
          from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
          to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
          id='sub1'>
          <subscribe
              node='avatar/info/juliet at capulet.com'
              jid='romeo at montague.net' >
--->        <context>Here could be the JID</context>
          </subscribe>
        </pubsub>
      </iq>

Sample pubsub#event:
      <message to="romeo at montague.net" from="pubsub.shakespeare.lit">
        <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event">
          <items node="avatar/info/juliet at capulet.com">
            <item id="current">
                xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/avatar"
                jid='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
                node='avatar/data/juliet at capulet.com'
                mime-type='image/png'
                id='109f4b3c50d7b0df729d299bc6f8e9ef9066971f' />
            </item>
          </items>
--->      <context>Here could be the JID</context>
        </x>
      </message>

hw
--