[Standards-JIG] Re: Whose avatar?

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri May 27 17:25:50 UTC 2005

Hi Heiner,

> I was thinking of a more general application defined value
> that could be used as a reference for the app. We are
> currently reacting to the requrements of one application
> programmer. Maybe other apps have different requirements.
> Therefore I proposed a general <context/> in analogy to
> software callback APIs which usually have a single
> (general purpose) context value.

The solution to the "Whose avatar" problem (or, more generally, the
"what exactly is this published data" problem) should not be client
specific. Plenty of people use more than one client or migrate between
clients. Standards should enable interoperability.

The fact that you keep pushing for something client-specific makes me
wonder if you have already identified some specific needs for your
client? If you are able to share them with the list then we might come
up with a solution that works for everyone.

- Ian