[Standards-JIG] Re: Whose avatar?

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Fri May 27 17:54:08 UTC 2005

>The solution to the "Whose avatar" problem (or, more generally, the
>"what exactly is this published data" problem) should not be client
>specific. Plenty of people use more than one client or migrate between
>clients. Standards should enable interoperability.

Yes, the content could be standardized, e.g. like Joe proposed.

>The fact that you keep pushing for something client-specific makes me
>wonder if you have already identified some specific needs for your
>client? If you are able to share them with the list then we might come
>up with a solution that works for everyone.

No, I would have told. But I am sure there are. I just see the analogy
to programming APIs which do subscribe and notify. If you would ask we
what I put in LPARAM (Win32 API), then I would have to dig deep in my
apps, but I know that I needed it. Most of us use these things.

I agree that this case is a bit different, because APIs usually do not
notify to multiple apps. For the moment I could live with
  <headers xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/shim'>
    <header name='Originally-From'>jid here</header>
  </headers>
Its just my feeling as a programmer that
  <context>SOMETHING<context/>
where SOMETHING may be SHIM, would be better. It could carry more, which
we do not know yet and would force implementers to provide for storage
of an XML fragment rather than just storing a JID.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG