[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Resource Based Subscription problem

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Tue May 31 21:02:34 UTC 2005

Ralph Meijer Wrote:
> > Chris Mullins wrote:
> > > If user1 has a resource based subscription to a node, but is logged
> > > in with a different resource, what is the behavior?

>The pubsub JEP was defined on top of XMPP Core, not on top of
> XMPP IM. That means that it doesn't know/care about
> resource/priority based routing and offline message storage.
> Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

It's not as if I don't understand this. The problem is that saying this is a technical cop-out. Users won't care why a notification went to a wrong resource, then only "know" that the implementation is broken.

>From a technical perspective, how can PubSub really even claim this? What server out there can a PubSub component use that doesn't automatically process messages in accordance with the XMPP IM rules? So, in order to deliver message the PubSub component needs to (in essence) have a it's own message processer, rather than relying on the existing ones - to do otherwise will cause things to fail (and notifying the wrong resource is, any way you cut it, a failure) for resource based subscriptions.

Ah well. It's obvious I'm the only one who cares about this particular issue at all, so I'll let the matter drop...

--
Chris Mullins