[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0147 (XMPP IRI/URI Query Components)

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Wed Nov 2 22:39:44 UTC 2005

> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> >> I would love to be able to use this for receiving files as well.
What
> if
> >> we added something like this:
> >>
> >> xmpp:sender at jabber.org?file;sid=a0
> >>
> >> And then in 0096/0095 we could add a pull model for known stream
ID's
> >> during stream initiation.
> >
> > Interesting use case indeed.
> >
> >> Receiver:
> >> <iq type="get" to="sender at jabber.org/resource" id="pull-1">
> >>     <si xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si'
> >>       id='a0'
> >>       profile='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/file-transfer'
/>
> >> </iq>
> >
> > One remark. How do you actually get at the resource identifier? I
assume
> > the sender is not in my roster.
>
> Hey JD, any suggestions? Send a probe first? Without the resource I
> don't see how this is going to work...

Couldn't you just put the resource identifier in the IRI that drives the
si get request? In particular I was thinking of this in the context of
OOB "File Attachments" during an active IM conversation. A message could
include an attachment element or even just the IRI pointing to the
attachment (which, might not necessarily be from the sender).

I was also hoping this would be useful for XMPP based file
sharing/browsing applications. You could post XMPP IRI hyperlinks on a
web page to a common file on a server computer identified by
"fileserver at mydomain.com/always_the_same_resource".

-JD