[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Best Practices toPrevent PhishingAttacks on the Jabber/XMPP Network

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:23:07 UTC 2005

2005/11/17, Andreas van Cranenburgh <andreas at unstable.nl>:
> Don't know for sure, but IIRC there have been studies which say that
> monospace is also /generally/ easier to read.

That's not the case of character width, but character spacing.
You need to have consistent spacing between characters for text to be
easy to read.
There are character sets naturally same-width: kana, herbrew, but I
personally feel that Courier like fonts are forcing our characters to
same width. A good attempt, but always...

> So eh, the point: let's use monospace for all fingerprints (hashes) and
> domainnames; ie. security-sensitive stuff. Reasonable?

Apple does that for all input fields on all MacOSes. :-)

--
smk