[Standards-JIG] Client Capabilities (rant)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 10:12:52 UTC 2005

Hi Chris, I'm sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating time working
with client capabilities. :-(

> 1 - Check presence and see if any JEP 115 capabilities are listed.
> If any of these are listed, we need to just ignore them, as they're
> client specific anyway and of no use to any other client. This JEP#
> is of no use for general client capabilities and should be either
> renamed, or deprecated.

Did you understand that JEP-0115 is meant to be used only in conjuction
with disco#info?

> 4 - Stick with the Disco approach, but at least document all
> the features that can be looked for in a single place (The
> Jabber Registrar). Accept that this fails in many mobile and
> low-bandwidth cases due to the iq packet storm on login with
> a roster of any significant size.

JEP-0115 was developed precisely to avoid this "packet storm on login".
It's Requirements section includes, "Clients MUST be able to retrieve
information without querying each user." In practice, it is rarely
necessary to disco#info a client that advertises its capabilities via
JEP-0115.

- Ian