[Standards-JIG] XMPP URIs was: Two questions regarding JEP-0124HTTP Binding

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 10:56:17 UTC 2005

> Let's say I connect to http://proxy.saint-andre.com/ (my
> personal HTTP binding proxy) and I use it to log in to my
> stpeter at jabber80.com account at port 443 rather than 5222.
> So we're currently saying that I would tell my proxy this:
>
>    route='xmpp:jabber80.com:443'
>
> Which we hope means "connect to jabber80.com over a TCP connection
> on port 443 and expect to communicate via XMPP, pretty please"
> but in fact (per Section 2.8 of draft-saintandre-xmpp-iri) means
> "connect to your usual XMPP server and generate an XMPP stanza based
> on application inputs and then send that stanza to jabber80.com

The extra features that draft-saintandre-xmpp-iri adds to a simple
URI/IRI are important and good. They go well beyond what is possible
with other URI specs like 'mailto' and 'http'. For example, there is no
need for contextual information like the HTML: <FORM method="post"
enctype=...><INPUT>...

However, IMHO it should *also* be possible to use a URI simply to
identify a resource. AFAIK that is the fundamental property of any URI
scheme.

- Ian