[Standards-JIG] Client Capabilities (rant)

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Sun Nov 20 19:58:34 UTC 2005

The assumption that Ian made about a single disco#info request certainly
would make things simpler. You take the client info and combine it with
EXT and cache the disco#info result for that opaque set. If you know
about the client in question (i.e. it is your own client) then you do
not need to make the disco request at all. You can infer the supported
namespaces simply based on client/version/ext. Making separate requests
to random contacts for each of the EXT's just makes things way too
complicated.

To take a further step back, wouldn't it just be easier for the Jabber
registrar to maintain the mapping of EXT values to namespaces which
could also include sets of features like JEP-0117. This would greatly
simplify clients and not require any extra round trips and definitely no
more bandwidth than random IQ requests to various nodes. I seem to
recall this being suggested a long time ago, and got shutdown. I think
it deserves a re-look. With 0073 and 0117 around the number of caps
listed would be very small.

-JD Conley