[Standards-JIG] Re: Client Capabilities (rant)

Remko Troncon remko at psi-im.org
Sun Nov 20 21:21:47 UTC 2005

> I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few weeks adding client
> capabilities into our SDK.

Implementing the basic client capabilities in Psi was IMO pretty easy to do (i
did it in less than a day IIRC). I like the fact that there is no need for a
registrar, which makes it a lot easier to create non-official plugins, without
needing to worry that you conflict with existing 'short names' etc.  Together
with the server extensions, this is also pretty efficient on bandwidth.

However, my imlementation doesn't do conlfict resolution yet (so it assumes
that caps information is always correct), which might make it a tad
more complicated. This part of the JEP is what bothers me a bit, that it's not
very robust against malicious contacts.

cheers,
Remko