[Standards-JIG] Re: Client Capabilities (rant)

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Mon Nov 21 21:21:42 UTC 2005

Remko Wrote:
> > Given the jep as it's written, it takes 11 requests. Please, correct me!

> Indeed. The JEP also says that the extensions should be
> non-trivial extensions, so unless your client is only made
> from plugins, i would say the number of extensions isn't
> as high.

Any optional features need to be identified as extensions. If my client allows me to turn XHTML On or Off, then I would need to list it in an extension. Same with File Transfers. I can come up with quite a few use cases where I would want to disable one or both of these features at a per-user level.

I think in a full featured client where all the features are "options", then a large number of EXT items is very likely.

--
Chris Mullins