[Standards-JIG] Client Capabilities (rant)

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Mon Nov 21 22:56:05 UTC 2005

Ian Wrote:
>> > You do not need to include any node in your _single_
>> > Disco Info request (normal JEP-0030).
>
>> ...If you disco the root caps node (Exodus#0.9.9.1)...

>Chris, I never suggested you disco the root caps node.

[Snip for Brevity]

I understand what you mean now. Thanks.

What you described is, however, not the mechanism defined by the JEP, and is therefore unlikley to be followed by client developers.

Either the JEP needs to be changed, or this approach needs to not be used.

Mixing and matching sections of various JEPs to piece together an ad-hoc mechanism for client capabilities is going to lead us further down the road to client incompatabilties.

--
Chris Mullins