[Standards-JIG] JEP-45 requires JEP-79?

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Tue Nov 22 18:01:09 UTC 2005

Gaston Dombiak wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> One thing that came up to my mind some time ago and was brought up again
> lately was that JEP-45 (Multi User Chat) requires that packets should be
> sent to the exact matching resource and never be stored offline. If my
> understanding is right and these requirements are in fact needed then we may
> want to add a note saying that "JEP-79: Advanced Message Processing" is
> required and that packets sent from the MUC service should include a
> condition of "match-resource" and an action of "drop".

Technically that is not needed. The MUC service should not send you any
messages when you're offline. Your resource's unavailable presence
signifies that you have left the room, and the service should then stop
sending you messages. If you did receive any messages while you were
offline, then that signifies another problem like ghosting.

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design