[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-45 requires JEP-79?

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Wed Nov 23 20:29:33 UTC 2005

Hey Nolan,

Thanks for your reply.

What about the "match-resource" condition? I think that we (the group
chat service) don't want the server to send a room message to another
user resource. I can see 2 possible scenarios where the "match-resource"
and "drop" action might be useful.

The first scenario is when a user is connected from 2 resources and only
1 has joined a room. And while there is some room activity the user
loses his connection from the client that was present in the room.
AFAIK, if we don't specify "match-resource" and "drop" in the messages
to broadcast then the server might sent the room conversation to the
remaining connected resource or if that resource has been disconnected
too then the message might be stored offline.

The other more unprobable scenario would be for clients that logged into
a server but never sent an available presence but they decided to send a
direct presence to join a room. AFAIK, clients that never sent an
available presence to the server should not get messages from other
clients or services since they are "unavailable". If this is correct
then the server might decide to store offline broadcasted messages of
the room.

Regards,

  -- Gato

news:<43835CE5.1090006 at semanticgap.com>...