[Standards-JIG] Many to many e2e encryption (JEP-116)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Nov 25 12:21:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:03:12PM +1100, Trejkaz wrote:
> On Friday 25 November 2005 22:04, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > I don't see any other scenario that would scale up correctly with the
> > number of recipients growing (sending a specificly encrypted message for
> > each final recipients to the global one would just bloat the message of
> > there is many recipients, but maybe this is not a real problem if
> > confidentiality really matters).
>
> One interesting possibility: assuming the format of this message is fairly
> transparent, you could have the MUC room cut out the bulk of the keys in the
> message such that each user only gets the key they need.  In such a fashion,
> the message bulk would only occur when sending, and never when receiving, and
> the server still never gets a chance to spy on the messages.

I suppose that could work, but it would require a modified MUC
implementation, and I'm not sure if that is desirable.

The question is: does any room occupant get to be added to the list of
recipients? If not, how is this managed then?

If the answer is 'out-of-band', then why not negotiate a shared key
out-of-band, too?

If the answer is 'the room is invite only' then the person inviting new
occupants can also relay a shared key securely by adding a new
namespaced element in the invite message.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm