[Standards-JIG] Jingle schema extensibility

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Sun Apr 2 08:59:05 UTC 2006

JEP-166's glossary describes a channel as a 'named way to get information
between the endpoints...'  From the rest of the description I am under the
impression that a channel is linked to the transport of a media type.

In effect, from the various transport JEPs, it appears that the common
practice id to have a <candidate/> element as a child of a <transport/>
element. And the name attribute is described as required for most all of
them except JEP-179.

This is just an example of potential interpretation issues. Couldn't we
include additional schema definitions in JEP-166 describing the mandatory
attributes of <transport/>, <candidate/> and <description/> in addition to
open extensibility (xs:any)?

The idea is not to indicate that, if these <transport/>, <candidate/> and
<description/> are to be used in their respective application context, then
they must provide a minimum required information. We could do this in high
level JEPs for media description and transport, but it seems adequate to use
JEP-166 for this.

Jean-Louis