[Standards-JIG] RE: Jingle channel naming (was Jingle schema extensibility)

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Apr 4 20:20:59 UTC 2006

I was under the impression that we were going toward a construct like this
for multiple media streams:

<jingle xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle' ...
          sid='a73sjjvkla37jfea'>
    <description xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/media/audio'>
    ... description for audio media
    </description>
    <description xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/media/video'>
    ... description for video media
    </description>
    <transport ...>
    </transport>
</jingle>

The communication session is encapsulated by the <jingle/> element and
identified by its 'sid'. Every media stream is described in a separate
distinct <description/> element, each in its own namespace.
Now on the transport front I suppose we have to make an offer with several
of them. And in that case you are right in saying we must have some way of
binding a particular transport to a particular media stream. The principle
could be something like:

<jingle xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle' ...
          sid='a73sjjvkla37jfea'>
    <description xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/media/audio'
    id='audio'>
    ... description for audio media
    </description>
    <description xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/media/video'
    id='video'>
    ... description for video media
    </description>
    <transport xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/transport/raw-udp'
    id-ref='audio'>
    </transport>
    <transport xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/transport/rtp-ice'
    id-ref='audio'>
    </transport>
    <transport xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle/transport/raw-udp'
    id-ref='video'>
    </transport>
</jingle>

Do not put any special meaning behind the attributes added to description
and transport. Their only purpose is to indicate that a particular transport
is linked to a particular media stream description.

Is this what you are referring to? And where would the notion of 'channel'
appear then?

Jean-Louis