[Standards-JIG] Re: File sharing JEP

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Apr 7 12:50:17 UTC 2006

> So I start: I would really like to have file sharing features added to
> my Jabber client, who seems to be extensible.

An 'ad-hoc' way to go at this is to use JEP-50 (ad-hoc commands) for
the actual browsing of files client-side, and then selecting a file
to retrieve; the other side then sends this file over using
file transfer. There is a mod for Psi flying around in internet space
which implements such a file sharing service: the user management is
done through an interface in your own client, and any other client
supporting file transfer and ad-hoc commands can browse through your
shares and retrieve files.

However, this is a very simple (and client-independent) way of doing
file sharing, and therefore has its limitations. I assume that you
are interested in a more powerful protocol, for use in a dedicated
file sharing client.

cheers,
Remko