[Standards-JIG] File sharing JEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Apr 7 16:34:48 UTC 2006

/me bites the bullet

IMHO the long-term solution is to do all out-of-band media exchange
using Jingle. That would include file transfer / file sharing.

My reasoning is as follows:

1. It's not good to have two ways to do similar things, since it makes
coding clients harder. The Stream Initiation (SI) framework is quite
similar in concept to Jingle, though IMHO not as flexible.

2. We never figured out a good way to do anything but file transfer
(such as voice and video) using SI. Or at least I never figured it out.

3. I think Jingle gives us a more flexible approach than SI (voice,
video, etc.), thus enabling clients to support only one framework for
all media exchange.

4. It's possible we could define a Jingle transport method for SOCKS5
bytestreams, thus re-using JEP-0065 (though I haven't worked out the
details yet).

5. File transfer / file sharing over Jingle would be defined in such a
way that it enables the transfer of multiple files, rather than just one
file. Thus no need for something like JEP-0105, which never took off for
a variety of reasons.

6. Jingle should include all the retry semantics that people want to add
to JEP-0096 (if not, we need to define how that would work).

Or so it seems to me right now.

Peter