[Standards-JIG] Re: File sharing JEP

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Apr 7 17:22:35 UTC 2006

> 3. I think Jingle gives us a more flexible approach than SI (voice,
> video, etc.), thus enabling clients to support only one framework for
> all media exchange.

Just a side remark: without knowing the gory details about jingle nor
SI, having one general way to do it all sounds very good indeed.
However, ever since we had PubSub superseding all extended presence
protocols, and privacy lists for blocking and invisibility, 'general
protocols' always scare me a bit: they typically turn out to be too
hard to implement/use in practice, and so we end up with nobody using
them (i'm talking from the IM perspective).

But as I said, i don't know anything about both protocols, but since
Jingle is (a derivative of) a protocol already used in practice in an
IM client, i at least have faith that it is the right way to go ;-)

cheers,
Remko