[Standards-JIG] JEP-0163 / PEP: 2 questions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Apr 7 19:43:49 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>>> Yes.
>
> Fixed.

>>> An unsubscribe message similar to the iq responses when unsubbing in 060
>>> seems appropriate, we should specify this. We also probably want this to
>>> be stronger than MAY send a notif, else the local subscriptions tracking
>>> is going to get screwy.
>
> Hmm, this applies to JEP-0060 as well, I think. That is, the service
> SHOULD or MUST send a notification to the (former) subscriber -- to the
> bare JID if it doesn't know presence and to all the resources if it does
> know presence.
>
> The right format seems to be:
>
> <message to='oldsubscriber at domain.tld'>
>   <pubsub xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub'>
>     <unsubscribe
>         node='blogs/princely_musings'
>         jid='oldsubscriber at domain.tld'/>
>   </pubsub>
> </message>

To address this issue, I've added a new implementation note to my
working copy of JEP-0060:

******

12.10 Notification of Subscription Denial or Cancellation

Various actions and events may result in the denial of a subscription
request (see the Manage Subscription Requests use case) or the
cancellation of an existing subscription (e.g., if the underlying
presence subscription is cancelled and the node is of type "presence" or
the entity is moved to a new roster group and the node is of type
"roster"). When this occurs, a service SHOULD send a message to the
(former or denied) subscriber informing it of the cancellation. The
message MUST be of the following form:

Example 189. Unsubscription notification

<message
    from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    to='francisco at denmark.lit'
    id='unsubnotify1'>
     <unsubscribe
         node='blogs/princely_musings'
         jid='francisco at denmark.lit'/>
  </pubsub>
</message>

If the service has knowledge of the (former or denied) subscriber's
presence, it SHOULD send the message to all of the subscriber's
resources; if not, it MUST send the message to the subscriber's
affiliated JID (usually a bare JID).

******

This JEP now has 196 examples. Convince me to add a few more and we'll
be over 200. Yes, we put the example in example.com! ;-)

/psa