[Standards-JIG] File sharing JEP

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sat Apr 8 10:09:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:34:48AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> /me bites the bullet
>
> IMHO the long-term solution is to do all out-of-band media exchange
> using Jingle. That would include file transfer / file sharing.

I don't agree with it. It took a lot of time to get a decent, working,
implemented in many clients file transfer protocol. Do you remember the
time we had several incompatible file transfer protocols? Do you really
think the advantages of the new file transfer protocol are worth moving
back to that?

In Jabber we need working, even if not perfect, protocols for the
features people want. We still don't have good (working and impelmented
in many clients) avatar protocol. We still don't have good protocol for
voice communication between two Jabber clients (not IP telephony, just
simple voice communication -- that is what users want. Jingle is still
work in progress). But we have more and more new, more and more
complicated protocols nobody uses... Jabber was good as it was simple,
now it goes the way H.323 and SIP (SIMPLE) went... I don't like that.

Greets,
        Jacek