[Standards-JIG] PEP and Pubsub Questions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 10 20:45:46 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> Good question. I have to think about the error handling. The publishing
>>> client would be PEP-aware since it did the publishing, but right now it
>>> doesn't have a way to tell the PEP service about any errors or to remove
>>> subscribers because of bounces. Hmm.
>
> Hmm, this is icky. I see five options:
>
> 1. Force bounce processing onto the publishing client. This makes it
> unecessarily harder to write clients.
>
> 2. Require the PEP service to watch for error stanzas intended for the
> publishing client. This is resource-intensive.
>
> 3. Recommend that the PEP service periodically send test messages from
> the publishing entity's bare JID. This seems like an awful hack.
>
> 4. Enable the publishing client to forward errors to the PEP service.
> This is problematic since we don't have a way to forward stanzas.
>
> 5. Require the PEP service to send from the bare JID and use SHIM
> headers to specify the publishing client. This goes against one of the
> reasons for defining PEP in the first place.

Well, after some reflection, I think #5 is the least worst option since
it simplifies processing for the subscriber's client and more closely
tracks JEP-0060. The notification will still come from the relevant
account, and the resource that published the information can be provided
in a "replyto" extension as described in JEP-0060:

<message from='juliet at capulet.com'
         to='romeo at montague.net/home'
         type='headline'
         id='foo'>
  <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
    <items node='http://jabber.org/protocol/tune'>
      <item>
        <tune xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/tune'>
          <artist>Gerald Finzi</artist>
          <title>Introduction (Allegro vigoroso)</title>
          <source>Music for "Love's Labors Lost"</source>
          <track>1</track>
          <length>255</length>
        </tune>
      </item>