[Standards-JIG] JEP-0045 and locking room nicknames

Julien PUYDT julien.puydt at laposte.net
Tue Apr 11 05:57:35 UTC 2006

Etan Reisner a écrit :
> As to modifying the roomnick on entry, is there reason given the current
> protocol/JEP for the client to assume that the name it requests is
> always the name it will get? Or does it function more like resources?
>
> If it isn't currently clear than I would say it probably makes sense to
> treat roomnicks like resources and then the semantics of getting a
> different roomnick than you requested should be simple to deal with,
> unless we think that complicates things too much (there are more
> semantics with resources than I am aware of).

I wrote a basic jabber with basic MUC support. I made it so that the
first presence received from a muc room is the one telling it which nick
is his.

For example, upon receiving :
<presence from='room at conference.server/mynick'>
	<x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
		<item whatever/>
	</x>
</presence>

the client sees it isn't already in that room, and enters it with 'mynick'.

The idea was that the presence sent by the client to enter a room was a
request, and the presence sent by the server to enter the room was the
answer.

I thought it could fly ; was I wrong ?

Snark on #ekiga