[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-126 (Invisibility)

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue Apr 11 07:49:31 UTC 2006

> Indeed, it's not clear to me how important any of this is in the real
> world since I never used <presence type='invisible'/> when it was more
> widely supported. But I may not be a typical end user.

Me neither, but we have quite some users using it.

> <iq type='set'>
>   <block xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/block'>user at host</block>
> </iq>
>
> Similarly for invisibility:
>
> <iq type='set'>
>   <invisible xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/invisible'/>
> </iq>

Yes, this seems like the simplest and most uncontroversial change to
get blocking and invisibility done. It takes a lot of the burden off
the client, and allows you to do these operations in one atomic
operation (instead of determining + requesting + changing + setting
the privacy list). It's also a lot easier to implement this on the
server side (sounds trivial even).

cheers,
Remko