[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: 1.8pre12

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Apr 12 15:18:52 UTC 2006

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:36:03AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>> Version 1.8pre12 of JEP-0060 is here:
>>
>> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/tmp/jep-0060-1.8.html
>>
>> The cvs diff is here:
>>
>> http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/jeps/0060/jep-0060.xml?r1=1.106&r2=1.110
>
> Hurray for this change. A few notes:
>
> - In the #owner namespace, we have 'affiliates', where the bare
>   namespace has 'affiliations'. Is that intentional?

Yes, it was intentional. But if it's confusing, we can make them
consistent. My thought was that a user has affiliations, whereas a node
owner is managing not his or her own affiliations but the entities that
are affiliated with the node (i.e., "affiliates").

> - For 'affilations' (in the bare namespace), this moved to the publisher
>   use case. Is that a good place? E.g. owners or outcasts may also want
>   to do this query. Unfortunately, we have no section 'Entity Use Cases'
>   to put it in. Or you could create that and include discovery there.

Yes, I think a set of Entity Use Cases is a good idea. I put managing
affiliations in the Publisher Use Cases because I couldn't find a good
place for it under subscribers or owners. ;-)

> - In the schema for 'affiliates' (or its corrected name), there should
>   be a 'none' value for 'affilation' as well, for unaffilating an entity
>   to a node. See example 164.

Good point.

> - The captions for examples 74 and 75 should mention 'subscriptions',
>   not 'affiliations'.

Fixed.

> - I think we lose the ability have the owner manage subscriptions.  This
>   could be readded by introducing the subscriptions element in the
>   #owner namespace. I suppose if the naming of 'affiliates' was
>   intentional, you could name this 'subscribers'.

Yes, that ability was lost. Do we need it? If so, we can add it back in.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation