[Standards-JIG] JEP-0045 role/affiliation changes

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 15:21:18 UTC 2006

> The examples in JEP-0045 (e.g. 157/160 in sections 9.6 and
> 9.7) seem to suggest that whenever a user's affiliation is
> changed then the role will automatically be changed at the
> same time. Is that true?
>
> I couldn't find that behaviour explicitly described in the
> JEP. (I may well have missed it, in which case my apologies.)

I did miss it, immediately above the examples I quoted above!! Sorry.

> Should these role change triggers at least be mentioned in
> Table 2 (section 5.1.2).

I still think this would be a good idea. Since, for example, when
'admin' or 'owner' privileges are given then the 'role' MUST be changed
to 'moderator'.

Also, when privileges are removed the language is seems (deliberately?)
vague: the 'role' MUST be set to an "appropriate value" given the
affiliation level and the room type. Should we tighten this up, or are
implementations free to consider any value "appropriate"? For example
when removing "admin" privileges could an implementation leave the
'moderator' role unchanged?

If so then client developers would probably find another note useful.
Something like: "Since the client can't predict what the role will be
after revoking privileges then if it wants to remove both admin/owner
privileges and moderator role *at the same time* (i.e. without an
asynchronous wait and see) then it should specifically request the role
change."

- Ian