[Standards-JIG] File sharing JEP

Scott Ludwig scottlu at google.com
Wed Apr 12 15:52:46 UTC 2006

> Using jingle for file transfer makes sense from a provider
> perspective, regarding relay cost and speed. But for clients, I feel
> that we are reinventing the wheel (TCP in this case, and it's a big
> wheel), and that we are trying to solve a problem that does not need
> solving right now.

Providers will be very reluctant to provide relay without any bandwidth
caps. Because of this, the transfer approach turns into a user problem:
users want the fastest transfer, which they will have with a direct,
non-relayed stream. Solutions that optimize for direct streams will provide
the best user experience. In this regard Jingle is a good choice because of
the high percentage of direct, non-relayed connections (92% of the time).