[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-126 (Invisibility)

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Wed Apr 12 16:43:34 UTC 2006

Maybe we sometime need to get away from the 'tradition' ;)

What I'm saying is that many other 'presence' protocols offer an 'appear
offline' state which is distinct from the open/available or
closed/unavailable presence type, and is rendered as such in the client.
This is a different scenario from not allowing presence to be broadcasted to
some contacts.

If 'invisible' is a presence state, then it must be interpreted as such by
the client rendering/process.
If 'invisible' is a presence broadcast option, then it must be handled by a
control list.
In both cases, if this is defined in the RFC, implementation will have to be
adapted.

I am not judging the validity of one scenario over the other, as certain
applications may require different approaches. In the end, we may have to
cater for both scenarios, don't you think?

Jean-Louis