[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-126 (Invisibility)

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Wed Apr 12 17:23:02 UTC 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 17:23, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> The traditional approach to invisibility has been to stop presence
> broadcasts at my server, so they would never get to your server (let
> alone your client).

Exactly, that's the whole point of being invisible: that your
contacts don't know you are online. Rather useless if the presence
still reaches them :-) This is exactly why defining it as a special
type is not a clean way to go at it, since this means that the
semantics of presence changes (i.e. presence packets are no longer
broadcasted to everybody), complicating the spec.

It's not that because invisibility is not a presence type at the
protocol level, that clients cannot represent it as a special type of
presence. Just leave the 'appear offline' in the UI, and translate it
into <iq invisible>. If the user goes online again, do an <iq
visible> again and send the selected presence.

cheers,
Remko