[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-126 (Invisibility)

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:45:28 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> The traditional approach to invisibility has been to stop presence
> broadcasts at my server, so they would never get to your server (let
> alone your client). Once presence gets to your client, it may be shown
> to you (if your client doesn't understand <show>invisible</show>) or you
> may be able to pull it off the stream (via XML debug or whatever). So at
> that point my presence is leaked.

I've only been half-paying attention to this thread, so feel free to
call me an idiot for this comment.

The destination server knows the end user's roster, and it can see the
start user's rules.  Why not stop the presence packets there?  Not
foolproof still--but much more so than the scenario you outline above.
 I'm thinking its kinda like how an ethernet switch will drop
broadcasts packets because those are not supposed to  cross that
boundary.  Make it so that presence packets that should be invisible
never cross that boundary.  Which boundary doesn't matter
really--start server, end server.

Ok, you can press delete now.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)