[Standards-JIG] Thought about serverside messages archives

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 11:46:53 UTC 2006

Hello,  I'm a developper of a Jabber client, but also a Jabber user.
This is also my first post to this list. Be indulgent :-)

I'd like to comment the serverarchive JEP proposal, and the JEP-0136
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0136.html (Message Archiving)
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/inbox/serverarchive.html

Server archive is a feature I'd like to have. Currently my client archive
correctly messages, but it doesn't work well if I connect at different places
or with different clients  (archives are split, or some part are missing)
But the existing JEP proposals are not ready for implementation, and I'd like
to see that implemented in server as soon as possible :-)

In the JEP-0136, the client need to push the messages back to the server.
This is good if we want to push messages on another archive server (if our own
server doesn't support archiving)
But is not good in general.
  - Put more complexity in the client.
  - If we connect with a not compatible client, message are lost.

So the solution is to make the server automatically archive messages.

This need to be configurable, and is described by the serverarchive JEP that
is in the inbox.
This JEP use a <iq> way to configure the server. but IMO, the right way is to
use JEP-0050 (Ad-Hoc Commands)

Every server could have a "config" node that may configure some server
settings. Toggle server archive, expiration time of archive, and possibly
some other field may be configured that way.
So client that support JEP-0050 automatically support toggling message
archive.

The serverarchive still doesn't describe how to retrieve messages.
That should include
 - retrieving the whole archive (for backup, or faster search, offline
browsing, ....)
 - synchronize with a local copy (if client keep a copy)
 - browse,  per date, per JID, ...
 - search
the JEP-0136 is incomplete.
Maybe an IMAP based protocol could be nice (but seems complicated)

And now, based on server archive, let me describe another nice feature that I
wish to see implemented in servers:
It may be possible to enable the server to automatically send all messages
received to an away ressource to a new connected client, as if they were
offline message.
JEP-0146 (Remote Controlling Clients) allow that, but it require both client
to support it. And need the client still "alive" (the computer on the other
side has not crashed or lost connexion)
The server could maybe use the same as jabber:iq:last to determine away
ressources (cf JEP-0012, LastActivity)

I hope my comments will be taken in account.
Sorry for my bad English
--
Olivier (aka Gof)
MAIL/JID: ogoffart at kde.org