[Standards-JIG] Thought about serverside messages archives

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Apr 14 13:33:37 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 23:06, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> But one may except it is not something that happen too often. Once the
> client has retrieved the history on the hard drive, it will do periodic
> small sync. And most of user will not have the need to have a local copy of
> their history.
>
> Note that logs is something that can be compressed very well:
> my 38MB logs archive (5 years) get compressed to 5MB with bzip2

Whereas this is true, the binary file then gets encoded back into text for
transport over Jabber. :-/

At the moment I do sync my logs between multiple clients, but because I only
use Psi (on three different operating systems now) the format is the same.
Automating this isn't a bad idea, but as a server admin I would rather that
these large chunks of data never saw the connection between the server and
the client.

I would rather opt for doing it as file transfer between clients, but to do
that you would need to standardise the format of the logs (although I guess
we have that much already, from the storage side.  Just send 500 times more
log. :-))  And with file transfers, you could bzip2 the data with almost no
drawback.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org