[Standards-JIG] Link Local Message and Required TXT Records

Jason Salaz jason at zenenet.com
Sat Apr 15 15:32:38 UTC 2006

I was reading through JEP-0174[1] and came up with a question:

Why is first name and last name a required TXT record that MUST be 'announced'?
1) Is this a standard of link local messaging?  I would be led to
believe not... I don't give proper names to my Printers, Cameras, and
all the other zeroconf devices I have[2].

2) Surely this information isn't necessary for link local
funtionality, and could be later trasmitted via vCard (and thusly, not
required) if necessary?

Or is there something else I don't understand?

[1] http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0174.html
[2] Note that I don't actually have any zeroconf devices, only
software like Adium/iChat, and have used Trillian in the past. But
even if I did have zeroconf external devices, I wouldn't think of a
proper name for them!  I can barely come up with host names for my
desktops and servers!