[Standards-JIG] Link Local Message and Required TXT Records

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat Apr 15 16:27:39 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 08:32, Jason Salaz wrote:
> Why is first name and last name a required TXT record that MUST be
> 'announced'?

Apple's decision, I guess.

> 1) Is this a standard of link local messaging?

Yes.

> I don't give proper names to my Printers, Cameras, and

Right, because Printers and Cameras don't use Link Local Messaging.  Rather,
they use printer protocols or camera protocols.  Zeroconf does not define any
of the TXT fields.  The fields are defined by the protocols that are used
over it.

> 2) Surely this information isn't necessary for link local
> funtionality, and could be later trasmitted via vCard (and thusly, not
> required) if necessary?

It doesn't seem necessary, but nevertheless it is part of the protocol.
However, it might be worth exploring what happens if the fields are omitted
when interoperating with existing software, and then decide if the
requirement can/should be lifted.

-Justin