[Standards-JIG] Link Local Message and Required TXT Records

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sun Apr 16 02:58:16 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 01:32, Jason Salaz wrote:
> I was reading through JEP-0174[1] and came up with a question:
>
> Why is first name and last name a required TXT record that MUST be
> 'announced'? 1) Is this a standard of link local messaging?  I would be led
> believe not... I don't give proper names to my Printers, Cameras, and
> all the other zeroconf devices I have[2].
>
> 2) Surely this information isn't necessary for link local
> funtionality, and could be later trasmitted via vCard (and thusly, not
> required) if necessary?
>
> Or is there something else I don't understand?

I completely agree, but I think this comes under the "JEP is informational and
therefore recommended changes won't be taken in" rule.

If it were up to me, I would only store one thing into the TXT record, and
that would be the complete XML encoding of the presence element.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/